Protect your Investment!

Your property is typically one of your largest assets. Real estate taxes you pay on it are also likely one of your largest fixed annual expenses, especially since New Yorkers pay the highest real estate taxes in the country. As the retired Scarsdale Assessor, I provide a valuable service to property owners seeking to reduce their taxes. I understand the complexities of the real property tax law and the nuances of valuation so that you don’t have to.

Get A Free Analysis

Are you are paying too much in real estate taxes?

Representing yourself in a grievance proceeding is not as easy as it may seem, neither will it likely yield the greatest possible reduction. Let my years of experience work for you to get better results. Here are answers to commonly asked questions. To find out if you qualify for a reduction, call me to discuss your specific property.

Why my property may be over assessed?
An assessment, or assessed value, are similar words for a market value assigned to your property for tax purposes. While real estate markets and property values are ever changing, assessments typically don’t change unless the town undertakes a town wide revaluation, or the property owner acts to reduce them.

Why should I challenge my assessment?
It’s a basic concept – fairness in taxation. Property owners are only required to pay their fair share of taxes, but must be proactive to ensure fairness. The law generally limits residential assessment challenges to every other year, so property owners must be diligent in monitoring their assessments.

How do I select a person, or an assessment reduction company to work with when I get so many solicitations?
Because property taxes represent the single, largest fixed expense of home ownership, it is important that the person or company you select to challenge the assessment is an experienced, educated advocate to represent you. Working with iReduce Taxes will give you a clear advantage over other companies because I will work directly with you. I am the retired Scarsdale Assessor with 24 years experience working on the municipal side, and am now working on the taxpayer side. There is no other assessment consultant with the extensive background, training and comprehensive skill set to represent you. As a NYS Certified General Real Estate Appraiser and a NYS Certified Assessor Advanced, I am in the exclusive position to best advocate on your behalf. If you qualify for a reduction, I know how to get you the maximum reduction possible.

What services are included?
I will file your grievance claim with the Board of Assessment Review (BAR) upon gathering all evidence to support an over assessment. If the BAR’s determination is unsatisfactory, I will appeal their decision in Small Claims Court and appear on your behalf through all phases of the process.

Should I grieve my assessment?
Yes, when the assessment exceeds the market value of your property by more than 10%. I can help you determine if your property is eligible for an assessment reduction.

Do you handle commercial property assessment challenges?
Yes. As a retired assessor and certified general appraiser, I have analyzed hundreds of commercial property assessments for tax certiorari purposes, which is also part of my expertise and specialty.

How long does the grievance process take? How long does it last?
The grievance process, from beginning to end, can take from a few weeks to 11 months. Where your property is located, the volume of claims filed and on the court calendar impacts this timeline.

By law, once an assessment is reduced, it is frozen for one year. For example, if you grieve and receive an assessment reduction in 2020, the assessment is frozen for the 2021 assessment roll. Your next opportunity to grieve would be for the 2022 assessment roll.

Can my assessment be increased if I challenge my assessment?
No. Assessments can only be increased under certain conditions, which are set forth in the law.

Am I required to let the Assessor in my house?
By law, you are not required to let an assessor into your house. Where there are issues of fact, however, it may be in your best interest to permit an inspection so that the maximum potential reduction can be achieved